From: E. Gladyshev (egladysh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-01 16:55:51

> Are you aware that the pImpl idiom is used for many
> different things

It defenitly has its place but not in modern C++.

> or have
> you just decided its not modern C++ at all because
> you don't use it for the
> things you want to do ?

In my opinion modern C++ is more oriented toward
program specifications and generic (compile-time)
programming. In modern C++, the program functionality
can be customized by specifying custom data types and
using them in a generic way (library). It is more
like a type oriented programming not implementation
driven. pImpl doesn't fit there.

Don't get me wrong. I use pImpl myself but I try to
avoid it as much as possible.

I think that any industry standard TEMPLATE library
should be designed in terms of modern C++. The
compilation time should NOT be considred as an issue.
Compilers are getting better, computers faster...
boost should be setting programming standards not
laging behind trying to accomodate some specific h/w
requirements.

Eugene