From: John Torjo (john.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-04 03:55:47

> > 2. is there potential to identify a "generic state
> > machine"
> > that can be part of your gui templates/library
> > without
> > getting tangled in the application specific
> > machines. i
>
> One more on the state machines. Even the standard
> button control is a state machine (when you press it,
> it goes to the "push-down" state). But again it'll be
> the next layer. In the propsed library it will
> generate the mouse down event and do nothing.

I'm not sure if it makes too much sense what I'm about to say, but I'll say
it anyway :)

I don't think we should include the generic state machine in one of the
first layers of the design. I think the generic state machine should sit on
top of the design (be based on the other layers), and based on the possible
states of each possible type of GUI (edit box, push button, etc), just
create a control that can respond to them in an easy and straightforward
way.

Best,
John