From: John Torjo (john.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-04 03:49:30

Hi Michael,

> 1) How is this going?

Unfortunately, I've been EXTREMELY busy these days :(

It's almost done - I've worked on making a small footprint of SMART_ASSERT
(when using SMART_ASSERT, the generated code should be as small as possible)

Note: try the latest version - www.torjo.com/smart_assert.zip
I want to write the full documentation, and then post it to boost sandbox as
well.

> 2) I notice that when the "Debug" button in the Win32 assertion dialog is
> pressed, it breaks into the debugger deep inside smart_assert code. Any
> chance of moving the debug-break out into the SMART_ASSERT macro? I
suppose
> this would be done by making the handler return values that specify
standard
> actions (do nothing, break into debugger, abort, etc.).

Hmm. I think it can be done. I'll try these days - hopefully should do it
until Fri.

> 3) I've always wanted an assertion that would evaluate the condition and
> fire when the enclosing block exits instead of immediately (i.e., a
> postcondition). I realize this would have to work in an entirely different
> way from a standard assertion, in that it would require the condition to
be
> a boost::bind type function or boost::lambda type expression that could be
> evaluated later. Something like a ScopeGuard that evaluates to an
assertion,
> in fact. Do you have any interest in pursuing this? I'd be glad to help,
if
> I can.

I'm not quite sure of the usefullness of this.
Please go into more details.

Best,
John