From: E. Gladyshev (egladysh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-08 20:09:51

--- Pietrobon Marcello <teiffel_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Also, IMHO, I would keep in mind that programmers
> successfully use the templates
> only after some experience with a more common
> programming.
> I wouldn't start to set up a standard keeping an eye
> only to 'real' programmers
> and scare all the others away.
> Which are the vast majority.

Just for a peace of mind, Marcello.
If you are doing a typical GUI programming on a
standard platform, you wouldn't have to know about
ImplTraits at all. It is like std::allocator<> many
people who are successfully using STL don't even know
much about it. On the other hand, it can give a lot of
power to 'real' programmers (as you put it :)).
For instance when I needed to build a module that had
to use a custom memory heap (overloading the global
delete/new was not an option), I was really glad that
STL had the allocator template parameter, otherwise I
would probably had to write my own containers.

Anyway we are setting up a project on sf where we can
discuss implementation details. It'll be up very soon.
 Stay turned, I'll post the project details to this
list as soos as it is on-line.

Eugene