From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-09 23:57:49

Firingme <firingme_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Do you think VC7.1 is better than VC7 ?

Definitely!

> Download SGI's STL(with iostream's version) from
> http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/stdlib_20000608.tar.gz
> and compile it both on VC7 and VC7.1.
>
> With VS2002,It is OK at all,but when it changed to VS2003,compiler will give
> us a
> C1001 Error!!

Does that prove that VC7.1 is worse? It's trully sad that people jump
to the conclusion that a compiler is better by virtue of it being able to
compile this or that library without considering how much gunk was written
to workaround various compiler quirks to make them happy.

> and I've meet so many times that the VC7.1 compiler give me this C1001 Error
> !!!
>
> So , In many case, I still use VC7 but not VC7.1

Ok, fine. Perhaps you don't need PTS or any of the modern C++ features.
Most boost library authors, (dare I say all?) need these C++ facilities that were
either absent, or severely crippled, in previous VC++ compilers.

Cheers,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boost-consulting.com