From: John Torjo (john.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-10 01:02:38

Hi,

I came a little late - sorry about that.

Anyway, I have a more thorough implementation of nullstream,
since there are more details that could be taken into considerance.

I've attached the code - if anyone is interested, I can comment on them
a little.

The idea is that you might need to sometimes pass nullstream to a function
taking an ostream& reference.

At this point you have two options:
- ignoreoutput (which silently ignores output)
- failbit - which is much faster than ignoreoutput, since it sets the
  std::ios::failbit on the stream. Internally, when something is written to
the stream,
  first a check is performed to see if the stream is in good state. If it's
not, the
  function ends right there.

Best,
John