From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-01 22:46:38

Dan W. wrote:

>Reece Dunn wrote:
>>Has there been any discussion regarding an invariants library (advanced
>>assert), or is there one already implemented in boost?

>The compiler I'm using, Digital Mars version 8.38 already supports
>invariant, pre- and post-conditions. See...
>http://www.digitalmars.com/ctg/designbycontract.html

cool! But these seem to work via assert which will terminate the program
upon invariant failure.

With C++ having exception support, surely the exception mechanism is a
better way to deal with invariants that do not hold? This allows the client
code to react to the failure and report something readible to the user,
like:
   invariant failure: cannot access a null pointer, in ...
instead of something like:
   abnormal program termination

Also, you need a compiler that supports the DBC extensions. The current
thinking behind the new C++ standard is to adopt a minimal set of language
extensions and a large number of library extensions (c.f. Bjarne Stroustrup,
et. al.). Having a library-based invariant mechanism (integrating into the
exception handling mechanism) allows support for older compilers (GCC
2.95.x; VC6; etc) that do not implement C++0x features.