From: John Torjo (john.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-29 03:02:57

Reece Dunn wrote:
> John Torjo wrote:
>
>> Maybe to simplify the process, in boost-root (where boost-build.jam
>> file exists), we could have a makefile which automatically builds bjam
>> from the source files and the invokes it with a given configuation.
>>
>> like:
>> make msvc
>> (instead of bjam "-sTOOLS=msvc")
>>
>> Unfortunately, I don't have any makefile knowledge.
>

> I am knowledgeable in makefiles, but this leads to a problem: you need
> to configure the makefile to handle all the various compiler and
> platform combinations - something bjam already handles, so why duplicate
> this effort?

they're not so many.

I don't think it's that much:
- just build bjam for all configurations (in Win32 this is just invoking some
build.bat file)
- copy bjam (and other needed EXEs) to boost_root
- for each configuration, call bjam for it (like msvc, call bjam "-sTOOLS=msvc")

This way, the regular user will get to build the needed source files without any
pain.

> Is there a bjam file for bjam?! That way it could be bootstrapped. But
> then why not just download a pre-built version of bjam?

for win32, that's about 600K. I don't like it very much.

Best,
John