From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard (jbms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-29 03:47:29

Sean Kelly <sean_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Jeremy Maitin-Shepard wrote:

> [snip]

> That doesn't mean they can't use the same basic model though. With IOCP when a
> read operation unblocks the data is already in the buffer while with the other
> methods a read operation has to be done. Wrap that bit in the IO
> subsystem.

To do it most efficiently, both read and write buffers are needed,
since there should be at least two concurrent asynchronous reads and
writes. I don't think that is a major problem though --- buffers can
be used in almost all.

> [snip]

> What remains an issue in my mind is how far to take this. Socket and file
> classes for each platform at least... what else?

In addition to the asynchronous/non-blocking socket system, it would be
useful to provide a blocking socket system. This could be have a
streambuf interface.

--
Jeremy Maitin-Shepard