From: Gennadiy Rozental (gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-13 13:19:45

http://www.boost.org/libs/test/doc/components/test_tools/reference/index.html

> It isn't obvious that this is where to look for this info.

You asked for Test Tool reference: where did you expect it to be?

> You have the
> "Test Tools" listed on the same level as the various "monitors".

Because it's one of the components of the Boost.Test library.

> I'm not even sure why there is more than one kind of monitor, but
> it makes it difficult to navigate the docs.

This is covered here:
http://www.boost.org/libs/test/doc/components/index.html

> > And you definetly shouldn't look into headers.
>
> Then what's this all about:
>
> http://www.boost.org/boost/test/test_tools.hpp

This is header, which you should NOT use to be able to use Test Tools

http://www.boost.org/libs/test/doc/components/unit_test_framework/parameters/index.html

> Is there a way to get there from here:

http://www.boost.org/libs/test/doc/components/unit_test_framework/index.html

Yes. See configuration link.

> If so, I can't find it. At least not without perusing every last line of
> the
> docs. Is there a more obvious way to get to that page?

Like what?

> > [...]
> > http://www.boost.org/libs/test/doc/compilation.html and here
> > http://www.boost.org/libs/test/doc/usage/generic.html#t3
> > [...]
>
> These links say so little as to be unhelpful.

It says everything you need to know to be able to build Boos.Test library,
given you know how to use Boost.Build or any other build system.

> For instance, if I chose
> to link to a library version of the Unit Test Framework for a test
> suite for a Boost library, what is the best way to do that?

I donno. Add to your makefile, project, solution e.t.c.

> The name
> of the compiled library includes the Boost version number, so
> should that be hard-coded into the Jam file, or is there a way
> to make Jam aware of what version we're dealing with?

I personally never use library files with versions incorporated.

> Should
> Jam assume that this library is in the default installation location?

All above questions has no place in Boost.Test docs, since have have
nothing to do with Boost.Test build (in general) IMO.

> These are the kinds of questions that seem like they would be
> fairly common to Boost library authors. Are other libraries just
> including the sources directly?

None. As far as I know.

> Dave

Gennadiy.