From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-24 20:52:44

"John Torjo" <john.lists_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Andy Little wrote:

> >>on presentation. At what resolution should kerning occur? What will
> >>pay the price: laser printers, monitors, or layout control?
> >

> > These are the more interesting issues. I have only just started playing
> > about with units'n guis and havent delved too far into text, fonts and
so
> > on. However text does as you say lead to interesting problems. It will
be

> For fonts, won't you use a wrapper over existing OS-primitives?

If you mean using graphics primitives to create text-characters, I hadnt
thought along those lines. I would really like to reuse as far as possible
existing file/platform formats for graphics and fonts. Overall , I am
currently looking at the bare minimum requirements to disentangle what
shouild be the simple function of drawing a vector graphic from the other
parts of writing a full blown GUI application . The complexities of dealing
with the large number of various file-formats for both graphics and fonts
can come later.

Typically a font has a name (eg [from Java] Serif, SansSerif, Monospaced), a
font character has a size, optional italic, bold etc.In contrast to the
function style in the original OP, I am currently thinking in terms of
making everything an object, which holds the minimal data required to
recreate it. When the object is output on the graphics stream, assuming this
is the platform specific default stream, it will then need to be converted
into the platform specific equivalent before being sent on to the platform
layer. The criterion I am looking at overall is simplicity, rather than
(speed and code size) performance..

regards
Andy Little