From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-07 21:04:25

At 01:56 PM 2/7/2005, christopher diggins wrote:

>On most (many/all?) windows platforms you can not have files of more than

>2GB, so I'd suggest you write the code to work with this restriction.

That is not correct. Windows has supported large files for many years. I've
got a Win32 Programmer's Reference copyright 1993 which includes the
functions supporting file sizes greater than 2 GB, so support has existed
at least since '93 for all Windows versions which support the Win32 API.

Most, if not all, current POSIX implementations also support large file
sizes. Like Windows, this support has been available for many years.

Both Windows and POSIX cases use non-standard API's for at least portions
of their large file support, but the number of functions involved is so
small that it isn't hard for Boost code to support both.

--Beman