From: Thorsten Ottosen (nesotto_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-01 12:03:43

"Jarl Lindrud" <jlindrud_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

| Hi all,
|
| I've searched this list a bit and found a few mentions of rpc's (Remote
| Procedure Call), but nothing concrete.
|
| I've written a library for doing portable C++ RPC's, which can be downloaded
at

| http://www.codeproject.com/threads/RMI_For_Cpp.asp
|
| Is there any interest in Boost for something like this, and if so in what
| directions do you all think it should be developed?

This looks very intersting. I think there would be a general interest in
most kinds of networking utilities...standard methods are really lacking in
C++.
I think the standard comittee would see favuorable to proposals related to
networking.

Your library seems fairly simple to use. I'm wondering though if the
the macros can be avoided? I don't know how much code is hidden in them. but
maybe
a different approach vould be used so they disappeared entirely.

As for performance, then I think the interface should be your first priority.
(But if you happen to know why serialization with boost is so much slower, I
think most of us would
 be interested to know that too :-)

br

-Thorsten