From: Jarl Lindrud (jlindrud_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-01 16:15:24

Jonathan Turkanis <technews <at> kangaroologic.com> writes:

> I'd like to make underlying transport mechanism pluggable, so people can
> implement other IPC mechanisms.
>
> BTW, don't tell anyone, but I'm implementing OpenSSL wrappers for the
iostreams
> library, which might be used for the socket interface.

I'm working on factoring out the transport mechanism, mainly because I want to
be able to use asynchronous networking (I/O completion ports on Windows).
iostreams don't mesh too well with async i/o though, so I'm not sure that that's
the best place for the SSL stage, I'd rather have it bound up with the transport
mechanism. I've found it more practical to keep the transport completely
separate from any iostreams; once a chunk of data has arrived, just construct a
stringstream on top of it.

> One last point is that Boost.Interfaces is not as portable as your current
> implementation. For example, it works on GCC 3.4 but not GCC 3.2. When the
> design is finished I will work on porting it to some currently unsupported
> platforms, but there are limits: it will never work on Borland 5.x, for
> instance.
>
> Jonathan

But then Borland 5.x is a seriously bugridden compiler.... 95% of my porting
problems were with that compiler. :)

Jarl.