From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-21 22:22:38

Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:

> David Abrahams writes:

>> - There should be a way for a developer to request testing of a
>> particular branch/set of revisions
>
> This can easy get out of control, though. How do we ensure that not
> all our resources are used to test something on some branch and the
> main trunk still gets what it needs to be tested on a regular basis?

The easiest way, assuming we already have the resources, is to reserve
certain testers for different types of builds. Having a core of test
setups dedicated to mainline testing. While having others dedicated to
on-demand branch testing.

>> - There should be enough computing power to handle all these tests
>> in a timely fashion.
>
> Right, and some mechanism to make sure that when it's not the case,
> the mainstream testing gets priority.

I think the key here is that we need to manage the testing resources
themselves. We need to decide what the priorities for the various
testing chores we have and reflect that onto the availability of the
resources.

At minimum if we desire to have mainline, release branch, and on-demand
testing then it means replicating resources for those three cases. I
guess it would be possible for one resource to do both mainline and
release branch testing. But on-demand testing is something that
conflicts directly with other types of testing.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything