From: Sam (cpp_boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-22 14:27:28

>On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 19:30 -0700, Jeff Garland wrote:
>> I notice we don't have a buffer concept in any of our
>> net/socket writeups on the wiki.
>> I think that's a big omission.

[snip]

Iain Hanson <Iain.Hanson <at> videonetworks.com> writes:
> A buffer concept is absolutely essential for TCP.

Agreed that it is essential for TCP.

> Without it you will run into delays with Nagle,
> delayed ack and slow start all combine-ing.
> Yuk!

What are you guys aiming at? Do you mean that boost
network / socket stream lib should handle TCP buffers
in our user space code?

A buffer may be needed for other reasons, but
"delays with Nagle, delayed ack and slow start all
combine-ing" and related problems are handled by the
TCP implementation.

Sam