From: pedro.lamarao_at_[hidden]
Date: 2005-04-22 17:08:54

Sam wrote:

[SNIP]

>>Without it you will run into delays with Nagle,
>>delayed ack and slow start all combine-ing.
>>Yuk!
>

> What are you guys aiming at? Do you mean that boost
> network / socket stream lib should handle TCP buffers
> in our user space code?

What you call "TCP buffers", if I understood you correctly, are kept
inside the kernel.

The point of the stream buffer in user space is to complement the buffer
in kernel space, so that you minimize as much as possible the number of
system calls made.

You still copy the same amount of memory from user space to the kernel
buffers, but the context switching has some cost; less context
switching, less cost.

Fine tuning the user space buffer requires much empirical study, tough.

--
 Pedro Lamarão