From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-13 06:45:42

"John Maddock" <john_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> Maybe this gcc option could be useful?
>>
>> `-print-file-name=LIBRARY'
>> Print the full absolute name of the library file LIBRARY that
>> would be used when linking--and don't do anything else. With this
>> option, GCC does not compile or link anything; it just prints the
>> file name.
>
> No sorry: as the build system works at present, any configuration has to be
> done within the jam language, using rules that don't execute any commands!
> If I could execute commands to do the configuration this would be easy :-)

Someone just posted a patch that would enable that functionality, if
it works.

> But whatever, I've committed a fix that I believe solves the main issues:
> certainly std paths shouldn't be added to the include or library search
> paths any more (by std paths I mean /usr/include and /usr/local/include),
> it's still technically possible for this to do the wrong thing (if a path
> other than /usr or /usr/local is a std install prefix), but IMO it's very
> unlikely now.

Now wait a minute. If you download and build GCC from source, you
pretty much have to install it with a nonstandard prefix or your
system will get messed up, and I do that all the time. You don't need
to do anything about #include paths, but the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and,
possibly -L, do need to be set differently.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting