From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-07 15:15:56

From: Andrey Melnikov <melnikov_at_[hidden]>
> Rob Stewart wrote:
[snipped my version]
> Much better.

Thanks.

> The binaries will work only with the same Boost version. It's possible
> that Boost 1.32 will fail to compile with Bjam from later versions.

OK.

> So here is the next version:
>
> If you downloaded Boost 1.33 release, download a prebuilt bjam
> executable for your platform.
>
> - <a>Windows</a>
> - <a>Linux</a>
> - <a>FreeBSD</a>
> - <a>Solaris</a>
> - <a>Mac OS</a>
>
> If you downloaded the latest Boost sources from CVS, or if your platform
> isn't listed, <a>installation guide</a> describes how to build bjam
> yourself.

That misses an important structural aspect I put in mine: don't
say to get a prebuilt executable and show the list before you
give the exception. I also think it is important to compare the
CVS download to getting an official release. The latter suggests
to the reader that there are other official releases to be found
which can be downloaded instead of the latest.

So, here's my version:

   We strongly recommend that you download a prebuilt bjam
   executable for your platform and version of Boost. If your
   platform isn't in the following list, or if you downloaded the
   latest Boost sources from CVS instead of getting an official
   release, <a>installation guide</a> describes how to build bjam
   for yourself.

   Here are the prebuilt bjam executables for the Boost 1.33
   release:

      - <a>Windows</a>
      - <a>Linux</a>
      - <a>FreeBSD</a>
      - <a>Solaris</a>
      - <a>Mac OS</a>

To avoid having to change the text for each release, you could
replace "the Boost 1.33 release" with "the latest Boost release."