From: Roland Schwarz (roland.schwarz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-31 12:33:51

Matt Gruenke schrieb:

>You don't see why I consider silently swallowing unhandled exceptions to
>be effectively hiding program errors? I'll try my best to support that
>claim, but I think we may have encountered a fundamental difference of
>opinions.

Of course I do see a problem in "swallowing unhandled exceptions to
be effectively hiding program errors". I don't think there is an issue of
opinions.

What I am trying to say is simply:
Wheter the catch all is present or not will _not_ help to address this
problem!
This is a technical issue only.

What woul help is calling some (possibly user supplied) handler from the
catch clause. (Or leave it to the debugger to do something reasonably.)
But perhaps I did not understand correctly your point and we both
effectively are suggesting the very same?

About the leaking issue:
I have spent quite some time to help in the implementation of the tls part
on the windows platform (to be precise: the addition of the static
linkability
of the thread lib.) From then I know that there might be a minor issue with
this leak. I did not ever claim that this is a serious issue. I just
tried to point
out that the only usage of the catch clause at the moment is to avoid
this.

What I see as a technical problem is how you would be able to
force a process shutdown from the context of a thread? Could you
please try to sketch how this could be done?

Could you please restate your suggestion?

Remove the catch all
or
Put a handler function into the catch clause
or
....?

Regards
Roland