From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-03 15:27:21

Rob Stewart <stewart_at_[hidden]> writes:

> From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
>> Rob Stewart <stewart_at_[hidden]> writes:
>> > From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>

>> > I disagree.
>>
>> You can disagree all you want, but I consider the feedback I got from
>> newbies about what they need to know to be fairly good data, and I
>> wouldn't second guess it unless you had some data to back up your
>> position, too.
>
> You're being obstinate, or so it seems from my end. I'm not
> saying we shouldn't provide that information. What you quoted
> shows me saying it should be on another page and below I
> suggested how that might be done. You dismissed those points
> and said we must have the information as though I said we
> shouldn't.

It's just a misunderstanding. I was describing a "what is boost?"
section; that was the title of my message and that was my focus. The
front page or elsewhere was incidental. You obviously took me to be
saying that all of this info belongs on the front page. I took you to
be saying that the information should be on a different page from the
rest of "what is boost?"

> I've been saying all along that the home page should be addressed
> to the business types and, to some degree, newbie developers, so
> that it provides high level, not terribly technical information
> on Boost. Others, whether the experienced developer new to
> Boost, or those well versed in Boost, can get information
> appropriate for them on secondary pages (with prominent links on
> the home page).

No disagreement there.

>> I don't care whether this is on the home page or not, as long as it's
>> not overshadowed by other stuff.
>
> Does that mean we're actually in violent agreement?

Maybe.

>> > I just want *two* introductory sections
>>
>> Why?
>
> Because I've said on many occasions, including in messages in
> this thread, that the home page should be directed at a different
> audience.

That doesn't explain wanting to have two separate introductory
sections.

> I've previously suggested that there should be a secondary "home"
> page suitable for Boosters. Consequently, I'm advocating:
>
> - Simplify the home page considerably. It should target the
> business type, but have links to more details.

I don't know what a business type is, but usually terminology like
that is used by someone who sees the "type" he's addressing as
somewhat alien. I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like you know
that audience, and that makes me wonder why you want to direct the
home page at them. Could you explain?

> - Put a lot of the information you're asking for (or at least
> the details thereof) on another page or several pages.

My point was that most of it needs to be in one place.

  http://developer.boost.org

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting