From: Andreas Pokorny (andreas.pokorny_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-05 10:31:31

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 09:17:18AM -0400, Arkadiy Vertleyb <vertleyb_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> The RTL was discussed on this list at some time in the past. The early
> version of RTL is described in the March 2004 issue of CUJ. The main
> difference from currently discussed RML is that we decided against using
> SQL - like interface, and use the relational algebra-based interface
> instead.

The most important part for a library like that, is the ability to have
the table stored in a file, and only partially mapped into memory. So
some tree datastructure like a B+tree is an important requirement for
a database library. Any chance that this will happen soon? Maybe you
remember that I started an attempt to write such a datastructure, but I
lost myself in details and had to give up, as soon as exams took most
part of my free time.
   From the interface point of view, I also prefer the relational
algebra "syntax". It somehow looks more familiar to me.

> The RTL can currently be compiled with VC7.1 or GCC 3.3+ (although with GCC
> there might still remain some naming conflicts between MPL and STL, that
> show up with certain usages)

Because gcc also considers structures when doing adl of a function call?

In some previous, and also private discussions you mentioned that you
would like to have RTL rewritten, because you made some tradeoffs to
support older versions of gcc and vc. Is that versions the overall rewrite?

Regards
Andreas Pokorny