From: Dave Harris (brangdon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-09 12:45:55

seefeld_at_[hidden] (Stefan Seefeld) wrote (abridged):
> > Maybe there's a reason for that. I'm not saying don't do it, but I'd
> > recommend doing some experiments that prove it's actually possible
> > before investing too much.
>
> Definitely, there are reasons. But as with the Y2K bug, it is mostly a
> question of how long into the future you plan.

Surely it's more a question of how far into the past you support?

> Imagine new 200 dpi devices being ready for production but not usable
> as no GUIs are available that can deal with that high a resolution.

I'm kind-of asking why we will succeed when other people have failed.

It sounds like the answer is "anti-aliasing". The GUI will only support
devices that have enough colours to do good anti-aliased rending.

OK; that may be a reasonable answer. Most modern devices seem to have lots
of colours even when they don't have lots of pixels. For example, my phone
has only 208x320 pixels but 16 bits of colour.

-- Dave Harris, Nottingham, UK.