From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-25 14:03:45

Ian McCulloch <ianmcc_at_[hidden]> writes:

> As I understand it (someone please correct me if I got this wrong), the core
> idea of the new proposal (from
> http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2005/11/96923.php and followups) is
> to provide a single point of customization, that *serialization function
> authors* can utilize to serialize an array in one call. Of course making
> use of this hook is optional, but since it is also a good convenience
> function (it saves a couple of lines by avoiding having to manually code a
> loop), there isn't really any point to not use it.

Ian, I know you're trying to help, but please don't jump ahead to that
conclusion. I would prefer that either

  a) Robert comes to that conclusion on his own

or

  b) He understands and accepts the consequences (which I have not yet
     described) of not drawing that conclusion.

I am trying to very carefully build understanding of those
consequences and making the assertion yourself is not going convince
anyone.

> Note that a significant point of the proposal
> http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2005/11/96923.php is that the
> possibility exists that this 'hook' is not part of the serialization
> library proper, but the point is *it must be globally accessible*
> and not specific to a particular archive.

There's really no need to make that point. Robert just needs to
understand what he's getting into if he decides not to accept that,
and the *technical* reasons for those consequences. So please, let's
not push that conclusion on him. He's free to agree or disagree, as
he pleases.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting