From: Tobias Schwinger (tschwinger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-23 10:32:44

Andy Little wrote:
> "Tobias Schwinger" wrote
>>Andy Little wrote:
>>>I'm wondering if anyone else has found this sort of problem in VC8.0?
>>
>>There's no ADL in BOOST_TYPEOF_TPL with MSVC8 (at least in some contexts, see
>>http://tinyurl.com/7e6a6 -- the lack of ADL is only mentioned in a sidenote of
>>the code, the thread is actually about even weirder MSVC8 behaviour in this
>>context).
>
> I have just been reading n1792 "A modest proposal fixing ADL". In it Herb
> Sutter states that only two compilers of those tried VC8 and Com4.3.3 do ADL
> correctly, so maybe this is behind your problems.

It definitely isn't - the case cited is much clearer than the one in the article.
Further, ADL *is* working correctly on the same operator and the same types in a
different context.
Herb Sutter may or may not know that bug, however, it might not be appropriate for
him to publicly highlight bugs of his employer's product.

You wanted to know situations where ADL fails to work with VC8 -- well, here is
one. Analyse the code if you have to see it with your own eyes ;-).

Regards,

Tobias