From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-23 12:26:03

"Tobias Schwinger" wrote
Andy Little wrote
>> I have just been reading n1792 "A modest proposal fixing ADL". In it Herb
>> Sutter states that only two compilers of those tried VC8 and Com4.3.3 do ADL
>> correctly, so maybe this is behind your problems.
>
> It definitely isn't - the case cited is much clearer than the one in the
> article.
> Further, ADL *is* working correctly on the same operator and the same types in
> different context.

Sorry about that. I've been going round and round trying to find out what I did
wrong, but this time it does seem that I am right that the compiler is wrong
... so to speak. If so its very disappointing. I had been looking forward to
using VC8

> Herb Sutter may or may not know that bug, however, it might not be appropriate
> for
> him to publicly highlight bugs of his employer's product.
>
> You wanted to know situations where ADL fails to work with VC8 -- well, here
> is
> one. Analyse the code if you have to see it with your own eyes ;-).

I tried out the example. VC8 doesnt seem to like operator + much does it? or - /
* for that matter.

What should be done about it. Should someone start reporting this to the folks
at Microsoft or what?

regards
Andy Little