From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-15 13:57:53

Paul Mensonides wrote:
> > IMO, Rene does not need to provide a rationale for it. It is
> > a matter of taste and for that, we should give the designer
> > some freedom -- unless there is a valid rationale for the
> > objection. Hence, I think it is your burden to substantiate
> > your objection.
>
>I agree with Joel here. I personally think that far to much weight is
>given to
>this type of thing. Rene is the one that is volunteering the time, so he
>can do
>it the way that he wants unless the result is bad for very good reasons.
>Of
>course, he can also use others' preferences, etc., but ultimately, he
>should
>have what he likes unless there is a very strong reason otherwise or a very
>strong consensus otherwise. For the most part, I think this stuff comes
>down to
>personal preferences that have no functional effect or the functional
>effect is
>insignificant.

I agree. Also, despite being left handed I prefer the menu on the right.
This is because the menu can disrupt the text flow on the right and I can
always look at the same (approximate) point on the left to see the
left-aligned text (the ragged right principle). I can also choose to ignore
the menus while reading the main text.

- Reece