From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-15 06:30:52

"Tompa" wrote

> But being a west-ish, I'm used to work from left to right. Hence, I have some
> difficulties to have a navigation menu, which basically drives the work, at
> the
> right side on the page.
> Of course, I know that this is my personal preference, but since most of you
> other boost:ers are used to read from left to right, I would like to ask you
> why you think it is better to start navigate from the right side. What is the
> rationale behind this?

FWIW I set up a poll on my website regarding this and on the site its possible
to change side menus to the preferred side:

http://www.servocomm.freeserve.co.uk/

See the "Advanced" link on top of main menu. (Preferred side is stored in a
cookie). You'll have to poke about the site to find pages with menus (try e.g
from top menu --- > Windpower --> Links), but they should change side dependent
on which you want. Feedback so far (5 years? .. 5 favour rhs to 1 lhs).
Personally I am right handed and I find it most convenient to move mouse up and
down rhs of screen where scroll bars are and round to menus at the top in a
natural arc. With menus on the left you are cutting across what you are reading
from scroll bars to link buttons. Possibly File, Edit. etc and other frequently
used menu buttons are better placed on rhs in Windows application too, but its a
bit late to change default now I guess.

regards
Andy Little