From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-18 16:12:55

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 14:12:16 -0500, Sean Huang wrote

> Jeff,
>
> Thanks! I've tried the new version and the memory leak stopped
> (using the program posted by OP).

Thx -- that's helpful.

> I also did a search in data_time
> and found there are other places where basic_stringstream could be
> replaced with basic_ostringstream. I understand this is a lot of
> hassles for you so we decided we would apply the changes ourselves
> (is there anyway we could push Microsoft to release a patch?).

Don't know, but having this show up on the boost list can't hurt.

> As for the bug, I'll try to explain a bit more below.
>
> If you have a copy of VC8, you can take a look at <ostream> and <istream>.
>....snip details...

I don't have a copy of VC8, but your test and explanation is enough.

I've checked changes into CVS that remove all the use of basic_stringstream in
date_time that should impact VC8 (there's some usage for legacy compilers that
isn't easy to remove that's still there). Those interested in patching should
be able to pick up these files their boost tree:

date_time/format_date_parser.hpp 1.10
date_time/strings_from_facet.hpp 1.4
date_time/time_zone_base.hpp 1.6
date_time/time_facet.hpp 1.19