From: Anthony Williams (anthony_w.geo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-31 10:25:25

David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Thorsten Ottosen <thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> If we have some kind of estimate
>> of how expensive it would be to develop the library, it might turn out
>> that 100-200 willing companies would be enough fully fund the initial
>> development.
>>
>> The website could show then show a bar indicating how close to
>> funding we where.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> Boost.org is not going to get into this area, at least not without
> undergoing a total transformation of the way we operate. There are
> just too many problems here, such as how to manage the funds and how
> to choose who they're given to, not to mention the fact that Boost
> then would have to become an organization with some legal standing.

At first look, I like Thorsten's idea. If we could find some way to allow
companies to spend just a little amount, in support of a specific library, and
we could find enough companies willing to make such a contribution, then we
could make it work.

As you say, the problem is deciding who does the work, and how much they get
for it. Your rate might be double mine, but your work might be ten times the
quality, or you might be done in a quarter of the time (or both!).

Once Boost.org starts accepting payment, and paying people to do work, then it
has to become a proper legal entity, with stricter guidelines on which of us
are members, rather than just the random assortment of developers we are at
the moment.

Particular individuals from the Boost community could run such a scheme on
their own, or a group could form a partnership to do so, but it couldn't be an
"official" Boost thing.

That said, if anyone wants to pay me to develop a library for Boost, or to
discuss setting up such a partnership, I'm listening ;-)

Anthony

--
Anthony Williams
Software Developer