From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-30 13:39:50

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 17:56:46 +0200, Mateusz Rukowicz wrote
> Hi,
>
> I would like to participate in summer of code 2006. I was very
> surprised that boost doesn't have multi precision arithmetic, and
> since I'm quite algorithm/C++ concerned, I wish to propose/make it
> as a SoC project. I'll appreciate any response about that idea, what
> do you feel about that etc.

Hi Mateusz,

Yes, I think there would be a positive response to an SOC proposal in this
area. You are correct, there is no multiprecision arithmetic support in
Boost now. However, be aware that there is some prior work already in the
boost sandbox. You might want to have a look at these links:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/boost-sandbox/boost-sandbox/boost/bigint.hpp?rev=1.28&view=auto
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/boost-sandbox/boost-sandbox/libs/bigint/

This was put together by Ron Garcia @ Univ of Indiana. Also, Richard Peters
was apparently was doing some work in this space. Try out this query to look
at some of the posts in 2005 about bigint:

http://tinyurl.com/lpsma

Before going to far down this path you might want to get in contact with them
and see if there is a way to extend/finish their work.

Also on a mathmatical track, there is a need for someone to develop TR1 math
special functions. Specifically have a look at:

http://engineering.meta-comm.com/resources/cs-win32_metacomm/doc/html/boost_tr1/unsupported.html#boost_tr1.special

This might be another possibility if the BigInt direction doesn't work out.
John Maddock and Paul Bristow have been the folks most involved

Finally, I'll mention that another possible project in this area would be to
build a Boost implementation for the Decimal Arithmetic proposal. This is a
proposal that IBM is making before the standard committee. That latest draft
is at:

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2006/n1977.html

It would be fabulous to have a Boost implementation of this proposal available.

I've gone ahead and added this set of ideas to the Wiki page:

http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?Google_Summer_Of_Code_2006#arithmetic

Look forward to your proposal!

Jeff