From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-01 05:41:57

> Yes, I think there would be a positive response to an SOC proposal in
> this area. You are correct, there is no multiprecision
> arithmetic support in Boost now. However, be aware that there is some
> prior work already in the boost sandbox. You might want to have a
> look at these links:

A big int should be too hard, an arbitary precision floating point arithmetc
type would be very welcome too. That's harder as it needs std lib support
to be useful (exp, pow, log trig functions etc), so it's rather more work,
but then again the student has all summer right ? :-)

The existing lib's in this area all have downsides: NTL is very reliable,
but is the most thread-unsafe code I've ever seen. Lydia looks good but is
licence constrained, and doesn't really build on Win32. Any others?

> Also on a mathmatical track, there is a need for someone to develop
> TR1 math special functions. Specifically have a look at:
>
> http://engineering.meta-comm.com/resources/cs-win32_metacomm/doc/html/boost_tr1/unsupported.html#boost_tr1.special
>
> This might be another possibility if the BigInt direction doesn't
> work out. John Maddock and Paul Bristow have been the folks most
> involved

Funnily enough I was tempted to suggest that. It's rather hard work though,
for both student and mentor.

> Finally, I'll mention that another possible project in this area
> would be to build a Boost implementation for the Decimal Arithmetic
> proposal. This is a proposal that IBM is making before the standard
> committee. That latest draft is at:
>
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2006/n1977.html
>
> It would be fabulous to have a Boost implementation of this proposal
> available.

Very fabuluous indeed, but have you read the spec? It make me quiver just
to think about it! Maybe as in all things familiarity would simplify things
somewhat.

John.