From: Paul A Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-01 07:25:57

Since 'the student has all summer', I think that decimal is just a little
ambitious!

I think just getting infinite precision integers (and perhaps rationals too)
in Boost would be a good achieveable target.

I find it most diappointing that we have had several implementations in the
sandbox but none have survived a review.

I am uncertain what higher precision floating-point would be most useful in
Boost.

An exact (infinite precision) real like

http://keithbriggs.info/xrc.html

or a defined precision (typically several hundred decimal digits) like NTL
RR,

or just a higher (128-bit) precision like NTL quad_float, (potentially of
interest to MSVC users who are limited to 64-bit doubles == long doubles
without even an 80-bit option). Some 'not-so-nice' features of quad_float
have popped-up recently - funny epsilon, thread-unsafe...

(NB Also I believe NTL is GPL not Boost licence).

It may be that these tools are mainly used once only to calculate
coefficients, as John Maddock is doing for 'proper' math functions? And so
there is less need for these in Boost?

Potential users views?

Paul

--
Paul A Bristow
Phone and SMS text +44 1539 561830, Mobile and SMS text +44 7714 330204