From: Markus Schöpflin (markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-08 07:32:19

John Maddock wrote:

> Markus Schöpflin wrote:
>> For reference, see http://tinyurl.com/rm4dr and
>> http://tinyurl.com/k53v2.
>>
>> Interestingly enough, the test passes on Tru64/CXX. Compiled with gcc
>> 4.0.3 the test aborts with 'terminate called recursively', compiled
>> with 3.4.4 it throws a SIGABRT.
>>
>> Is there anything I can do to help in debugging?
>
> Thanks Marcus, I had spotted that failure, but didn't know what to do about
> it. The fact that it's specific to gcc on that one specific platform is
> particulary frustrating!
>
> I have to be honest: I'm not even sure how to go about debugging this:
> basically the test program spawns 10 threads each of which then runs the
> regex test code. In other words it's a stress-test to detect
> multi-threading issues. Are there any known problems with gcc and threading
> on that platform?

With gcc 4.1 and later multi threading is simply broken on Tru64. But it
should work with earlier version. IIRC, 3.x uses DEC threads and 4.x uses
POSIX threads. That might explain the different behaviors we're observing.

> Failing that, if you can run it under gdb and see what traps that might
> suggest something.

Hmm, gdb doesn't work reliable for Tru64, AFAIK. I'll try with ladebug or
dbx. I'll post here if I find anything useful.

> And finally, is gcc on tru64 available on the HP testdrive machines? I had
> a quick look last week, but couldn't see anything?

I have a private installation of gcc 3.4.4 on one of the test drive
machines. But HP test drive is going to retire Tru64 anyway, so this won't
be of much use anymore. I received an offer from HP to get access to a
machine outside the test drive program to keep the Tru64 boost regression
tests alive as I don't have the local capacity to run all the tests on our
machine, but this might take a few more days and probably needs some more
details sorted out.

Markus