From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-30 11:59:59

David Abrahams wrote:
> Janek Kozicki <janek_listy_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> When boost switches to using variadic templates (which release will it
>> be then?) I'm curious what happens with support of all the other
>> (older) compilers?
>
> Boost isn't going to do a wholesale *switch* until the feature is
> standard C++, and then we'd have to decide we weren't supporting C++03
> anymore. I predict that is many years off.

I don't see a reason why we couldn't start supporting advanced features using
ConceptGCC or other compilers using our usual configuration system even before
the standard is complete. That might help provide for detailed evaluation of
various features and implementations. If the features don't ever make it to
the standard they could be deprecated and removed over time.

Jeff