From: Paul Baxter (pauljbaxter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-19 03:32:17

Joel wrote:
> Try to beat VC8's results.
> g++ produces bigger and slower code in general. I chuckle when
> people show benchmarks with g++ alone and proclaim that library
> A is better than library B. I am not an MS fan but the fact is that
> VC++ beats g++ with extreme TMP (inlining, templates, small objects
> optimization, etc).

Slightly off-topic, but how did Intel's 9.1 compiler fair (win and/or
Linux)?

We've found it better for vectorisation, but may be about to embark on using
fusion et al so wondered if you'd done any small object/inlining/templating
tests with that too.

I've often thought having some performance tests on the regression suite
would be good, but I can see it being problematic to factor out different
user's and different CPUs et al.