From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-10 02:11:08

Gennadiy Rozental wrote:

>> And from all I've read I see no easy way of switching those
>> _transparently_ from static to dynamic linking and back.
>> By _tranparently_ I mean _without_ changing the sources (quite a lot)
>> and adding some macros...
>
> No. It's not transparent. But it's not that complecated either. Give it a
> try and let me know how did it work out for you. Once you switched to an
> alternative init API the only difference in dynamic/static compilation is
> function main in your test module.

I think the problem here is for Boost tests itself. Now, large number of
them does not work with shared linking. So, I'm about to commit Juergen's
patch that explicitly makes all Boost test link to static version of
Boost.Test.

I think this is a temporary solution. For one thing, dynamic linking will
reduce the size of binaries considerably, so I think making all tests work
with shared Boost.Test is something to do for the next release. How to make
all library maintainers make the switch is a big question though ;-)

- Volodya