From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-23 10:25:19

Andreas Huber wrote:
> Rene Rivera wrote:
>>> ... only contains a copyright notice, license is absent. No inspect
>>> failures are reported for the date_time library. IIUC, inspect could
>>> detect this problem by checking the presence & contents of the
>>> <legalnotice> section in the boostbook xml.
>> The inspect program checks the entire contents of the files. In this
>> case the "Subject to the Boost Software License..." at the top is the
>> license, so it's not absent. The visible license notice in this case
>> <http://engineering.meta-comm.com/resources/cs-win32_metacomm/doc/html/date_time.html>
>> comes from the top xml file
>> <http://www.boost-consulting.com/boost/libs/date_time/xmldoc/date_time.xml>.
>> So the problem isn't with the inspection program but with
>> BoostBook+DocBook translation which does not include the license info
>> throught the rest of the generated HTML files.
>
> Right, the example I gave was a bad one. Sorry about that!

I'm not so sure it was a bad example.

> However,
> searching through all files under boost/tools/inspect for the string
> "legalnotice" does not result in any matches.

Correct.

> Looking at the code of
> license_check.cpp it seems that inspect only checks whether a file
> contains the regex boost[\\s\\W]+software[\\s\\W]+license. So my
> question is: How does inspect check that boostbook generated docs
> contain the necessary L & C?

It doesn't, as I don't generate the docs before running the inspect.
Hence it only checks the CVS state. It relies on the doc generation to
correctly follow the copyright+license guidelines when generating docs.
And even if I did generate the docs before inspecting, it would be
pointless as there is nothing the authors could do about the doc
generated files, other than someone fixing the doc tools.

> - It seems it doesn't check the generated HTML (otherwise there would be
> lots of failures for date_time)

Correct, it doesn't.

> - It seems it doesn't check the boostbook xml (otherwise it would be
> looking for the legalnotice tag, wouldn't it?)

Incorrect. Those legalnotice tags should contain the
"boost[\\s\\W]+software[\\s\\W]+license" text and hence will be
inspected. Hence why you example above is pertinent.

> What am I missing?

That the doc tools are broken with regards to propagating
license+copyright. :-)

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything