From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-24 16:37:30

On 11/22/06 11:15 PM, "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> There should be a section on going without pre-made binaries. This should
>> mention the location of the mandatory source files
>> ("$BOOST_ROOT/libs/*/src/*.cpp" for now) and that they can be arbitrarily
>> incorporated as needed, except for the ones that have a "main"
>> function.
>
> I don't believe that's true, though. Certainly I wouldn't guarantee
> it for Boost.Python; you'd have to know a lot of details about how to
> configure the build. I'm not going to make guarantees that users can
> do something that they can't in fact do or anything that we don't test.

Should that be considered a bug?

[Hmm... looking around Boost.Python for the first time at
<http://www.boost.org>.]

The example at
<http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/tutorial/doc/html/python/hello.html>
uses bjam and suggests that it's the preferred way. It links to another
page at <http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/building.html> with alternate
methods with either use Boost.Build or a pre-canned file for Visual Studio
IDE users. I don't see directions to set up Boost.Python manually, when
none of the given methods are possible. Maybe manual directions need to be
added to the general and Boost.Python-specific getting-started pages.

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie