From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-22 23:15:45

Daryle Walker <darylew_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On 11/19/06 6:02 PM, "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> I've got a first draft of the new getting started guide ready
>> (enclosed). Comments would be appreciated.
>
> [Also at:
> <http://boost.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/boost/boost/more/getting_starte
> d.html> (via
> <http://boost.cvs.sourceforge.net/boost/boost/more/getting_started.html?view
> =log>) or <http://boost-consulting.com/boost/more/getting_started.html>.]
>
>> I plan to factor it out into separate documents, e.g. one just for
>> *nix, one just for Visual Studio, etc., which should help make it more
>> coherent... but I need to do a small amount of tool writing before I
>> can accomplish that without duplicating information. The source file
>> is checked in at more/getting_started.rst
>
> There should be a section on going without pre-made binaries. This should
> mention the location of the mandatory source files
> ("$BOOST_ROOT/libs/*/src/*.cpp" for now) and that they can be arbitrarily
> incorporated as needed, except for the ones that have a "main"
> function.

I don't believe that's true, though. Certainly I wouldn't guarantee
it for Boost.Python; you'd have to know a lot of details about how to
configure the build. I'm not going to make guarantees that users can
do something that they can't in fact do or anything that we don't test.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting