From: Tobias Schwinger (tschwinger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-11 18:23:02

David Abrahams wrote:
> You can review the guide at
> http://www.boost-consulting.com/boost/more/getting_started.html.

The document suddenly changed while I was reviewing it ;-O. Some remaining comments:

1. Introduction
===============

Why "*nix?" and not "Shell", "Shell environment", "UNIX-style shell environment" or "others?"

2. Get Boost
============

1.2.3... 4. checkout a branch from the CVS?

3. The structure of a Boost Distribution

I'm not sure it's a good idea to put a single command line option in one line

    -I/path/to/boost_1_34_0

maybe an exemplary compiler invocation works better ("I enter -I... and nothing happens").

    "Even Windows users can use forward slashes in #include directives; your compiler doesn't care".

The recommendation to use forward slashes should be either stronger or left out.

Appendix
========

How about "Open the Finder, select Applications, open the Utilities folder and double click Terminal" for the MacOS X case (guessing that there might be MacOS developers without a UNIX background)?

Layout notes (viewed with Firefox):

The big font for the filesystem structure seems one font size too many for my eye. It looks a bit better for the code blocks (probably because the text isn't bold), but I still believe using a single font size will look best.

With some window width "C:\Progam Files\boost\boost_1_34_0" floats into the "Header Organization" column ('pre' won't break - and preformatting isn't really needed, so 'tt' or an equivalent style should be enough).

The code could use some syntax highlighting for the final version (which you might have planned anyway).

Regards,

Tobias