From: Martin Wille (mw8329_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-19 16:41:24

Peter Dimov wrote:

> I'd like to start working on a Boost implementation of my threading proposal
> N2178:
>
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2178.html
>
> but, as you'll see if you take a look at it, it differs from the current
> Boost.Threads and Howard Hinnant's competing N2184 in a number of important
> places, and having two competing libraries in Boost that do the same thing
> may not be a good idea.

I don't think it's a bad idea. We already have libraries with
overlapping functionalities in Boost and that didn't cause major harm so
far.

Threading is subject to rather intense debating. In order to proceed
towards an agreement, being able to to test the proposals against real
applications would be of great benefit.

Perhaps, such a library should, if it is shipped as part of Boost, be
labeled as a supplement to a standard proposal. This would be an
indicator that there may be less long-term support for such a library
than users would normally expect for other Boost libraries. Proper
wording for that would need to be found.

> So what would be the best way to proceed?

Implement (the C++ interface of) it in the boost::n2178 namespace?

Regards,