From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-02 12:22:09

Doug Gregor wrote:

> Yes, it probably would be advantageous to have a single-entry-point
> layout, but we haven't found a good way to do it. svn:externals was
> one potential approach, but they aren't quite powerful enough to do
> what we need.

svn:externals would be useful to make sandbox projects appear as
full boost versions (plus the new bits) to the user. Why not simply
treat the two (main boost, and sandbox) as separate ? All it should
take to build something against the two is an additional set of
paths (-I and -L), which should be easily hackable into the build system.

The same strategy would be useful to build individual boost libraries
in stand-alone mode, i.e. against all dependencies pre-installed.
(See the discussion on boost modularity.)

Thanks,
                Stefan