From: Jeremy Siek (jeremy.siek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-02 15:21:23

Hi Rich,

There is some support for specifying your own allocator in
adjacency_list by creating your own container tags and
specializing the container_gen traits class.

http://www.boost.org/libs/graph/doc/using_adjacency_list.html

However, there are a few places in the code for
adjacency_list where allocation is still being performed
by plain old "new". I'd certainly be in favor of a clean up
of the code to provide a way to completely control
allocation.

Cheers,
Jeremy

On Apr 2, 2007, at 12:56 PM, Ford, Rich wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I’m sending this to you as the authors of the Boost Graph library.
>

> We have some applications of Boost.Graph where it would be
> desirable for us to be able to supply our own memory allocator that
> Boost.Graph would use when it needs to allocate memory for
> vertices, edges, or whatever. For example, we might want to
> allocate the graph in an arena and when we are done just deallocate
> the whole arena. Has there been any request from others for this? I
> would not think it would be too hard to add (e.g. for
> adjacency_list, add another template parameter for the allocator
> and use it whenever allocation is needed).
>

> I would be interested in hearing your feedback on this proposal.
>

> Thanks for your help.
>

> <image001.jpg>
>

> Richard L. Ford, Ph. D.
> Principal Member of Technical Staff