From: Andrey Semashev (andysem_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-03 16:31:08

Hello JD,

[snip]

> - Besides, Caleb Epstein propose the definition of channel as:
> Multiple named channels each with configurable "threshold" (e.g. error,
> warning, debug, etc)

> Caleb, would you mind add a definition of channel on the wiki
> (http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?Boost.Logging)
> and maybe add some requirements on this?

I'm not sure I got the idea correctly. Do you mean that the channel
outputs the record only if some condition is satisfied (e.g. log level
is high enough)? How is it different from sinks and filters?

JD, may be requirement #5 could be corrected:
- "The library shall be able to output to different sink". Sinks? Is
this what "multiplexing" above means?
- "Each sink shall be link to a particular formatting". Did you mean
"shall be able to have a particular formatting"?

PS: Once I have some more time, I'll add more requirements there. I
hope, I'll manage to look through Gareth Buxton's implementation in
the vault to see new features/solutions/approaches.

One thing that isn't clear for me now is the way the library should be
initialized. Obviously, in most industrial-sized use cases the
initialization should be made from an external source (e.g. a file
with settings, system registry, etc.), but in a small-sized solutions
either no or minimum initialization may be done right from code. The
problem here is that I see no unified way to init the lib the first
way. For some cases a simple text file would be sufficient, for others
the settings should be in XML, for third ones they should be obtained
not from the file at all. Therefore for now I can only think of a direct
initialization from code. Any other suggestions/opinions?

--
Best regards,
 Andrey                            mailto:andysem_at_[hidden]