From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-04 15:50:55

Jake Voytko wrote:
> Take your time :) The main phase of Summer of Code doesn't even begin
> until May 28th, so you certainly have time. There's not even a
> guarantee that I'm going to be picked for Summer of Code, though I

As one of those mentors struggling to finish ranking and grading the
applications, I'll just confirm that there's no guarantees. We had 225
applications this year for somewhere between 5 and 10 slots (not exactly sure
how many Google will give us) -- so the competition is very tough.
Unfortunately, like last year, some very qualified students with good ideas
are *not* going to get a slot.

> certainly have high hopes! Getting the prototype working was a lot of
> fun and gave me a lot of confidence that I can finish this project
> successfully by the end of the summer, and I hope the mentors see it
> the same way

The fact that you are willing to put your ideas out in the community for
discussion is commendable and certainly distinguishes you from many other
applicants. After last year, the mentors agreed that we should have had more
community participation earlier in the SoC projects. Anyway, keep up the
good work :-)

Jeff