From: Huseyin Akcan (huseyinakcan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-13 12:43:18

Dear Janek,

As you already mentioned, the title of the proposal is misleading, as
our focus here
is not to write a whole geometric library, but a subset of it. I'm not
sure whether the proposal is publicly available somewhere but I would
like to include some part of it about the scope, hoping that would
clear the doubt about the expectations from this project.

" Regarding the specifics of this project, what I propose to do in a
summer is a limited scope Boost library for 2D mesh and polygonal
environments, where I will mainly concentrate on the combinatorial
information and primitive geometric operations. Thus the proposed
library should more aptly be called Boost.2Dmesh than Boost.Geometry.
Note that there would very likely be comments as to the incompleteness
of such a "geometry" library, since I will not cover application
domains like windows / GUI, computer vision, computer graphics (beyond
the simple 2D subdivision), etc. By purposely limiting myself to the
scope described above, I would provide a foundation for representing
and manipulating planar subdivisions which is already a huge help for
people writing geometric applications. It is a very common task and
having both a representation and generic algorithms (which can adapt
to user representation as well) suits the design principle of generic
libraries very well. "

Best,

huseyin