From: Janek Kozicki (janek_listy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-13 10:49:53

The link from http://code.google.com/soc/boost/about.html states:

 "Programming geometric algorithms, even the most trivial ones, may
  require detailed knowledge about the problem because of the degenerate
  cases that frequently occur in practice. Moreover, geometric
  algorithms are full of case analysis and quite error-prone to program,
  and can get fairly sophisticated in order to improve the asymptotic
  performance.

  The main motivation of this proposal is to develop an easy-to-use but
  also high quality (both in software engineering and in algorithmic
  content) geometric library, sharing the same design principles as the
  C++ STL, which is generic and extendible. My main focus will be on
  design of generic algorithms for navigating and manipulating 2D
  subdivisions."

I am worried. The lenghty discussions about geometric library spanned
several years till now on this mailing list. Similarly as with
Boost.Units library everyone had different expectations.

I strongly encourage the authors to change the name of this library
(similarly as "math toolkit" is suggested to be renamed into
"statistics toolkit"), or to change its focus.

"2D subdivisions" is not a thing that I'd be looking for inside a
"generic geometric library".