From: Gottlob Frege (gottlobfrege_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-20 21:15:07

On 4/20/07, Neal Becker <ndbecker2_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> We discussed a couple of years back code to do tracebacks that did not
> require instrumenting, which IMO is much more interesting.

A couple of us were just looking into stack-traceing today! Both
Visual Studio and gcc have helper functions for stack-tracing (without
instrumenting).

I want to use it when debugging threaded queuing and
'consumer/producer' patterns - I want (in debug only!) to attach a
stack-trace to an item added to a queue - when the item is later
picked up by another thread, I can look at the stack-trace to see
'who' queued it.

I could just add a string-id to the queue items to give some idea of
where it comes from, but the code is already written (ie same problem
as instrumenting), and a stack-trace is what I really want anyhow.

It really helps handle the general problem of tracing interactions
between multiple threads.

Tony