From: Ronald Garcia (garcia_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-24 13:16:20

On Apr 23, 2007, at 11:45 AM, Rene Rivera wrote:

> Ronald Garcia wrote:

>>> Meaning 1.35? Good question... Either keep them to yourself until
>>> we have a 1.35 branch. Or create a 1.35 branch. IMO.
>
>> I think that we'll probably need a better solution than that.
>> Given the time between releases, it would be better to have a
>> location where library updates can be marked. I'm particularly
>> concerned about the time after a release and before the next
>> branch for release.
>
> So you prefer the second option I gave? We create an RC_1_35_0
> branch for index.html and people can put the lib changes there.
As long as the next release manager knows to look there to find the
list of "library updates since last release", that would probably work.

>>> This problem will be moot for 1.35 anyway since the website will
>>> be independent.
>
>> The web site and CVS are independent right now: what is visible at
>> boost.org does not always match what is in CVS.
>
> But the website is in it's basic form a reflection of one of the
> releases. This means that any changes we have on the web server,
> that are not part of a release, are target for content loss.

That's true, with the exception of index.htm and more/
formal_review_schedule.html, both of which are constantly being
updated with news about reviews.

>> How will the planned changes alleviate this issue?
>
> The web site content will be separate from the release content.
> We'll be able to update, and still keep the content in version
> control, at any time. It also means that the release notes can be
> changed at any time without worrying of changes to the web site.
If the website ends up having its own version control, then these
issues will at least be minimized. When a new release comes out, the
latest news from the current web site will need to be merged with the
release notes for the release.

cheers,
ron